The roofless nave of the medieval church was knocked down circa 1811 and the present church built by John Roberts of Waterford. The Rev. Dunn was Rector at the time. It was in the nave of the medieval church that the people stood or knelt during long services. Later some seats were erected by the wall for the old and sick and from this comes the expression “the weakest go to the wall”.
The organ was presented by the Corporation of New Ross and in 1835 the Ecclesiastical Commissioners granted £390 for repairs to the tower. The spire was erected circa 1870.
SOURCE: A Little History of St Mary’s and its Memorials, Joe Doran