The Elly family were well-known merchants and ship owners in 18th and 19th century New Ross. They gave the name to Elly’s Walks located near the current entrance to the Brandon House Hotel (see map). The practice of giving a male child his mother’s maiden name as his first or “Christian” name is illustrated in the family bio attached in the case of Sandham Elly.
SOURCE: Biographical notices of members of the Society of Friends: who were resident in Ireland.
by Leadbeater, Mary,1823