This building built in 1861 was originally the premises of The National Bank in the town until the company merged with Bank of Ireland and the Hibernian Bank in 1969. It then became known as Bank of Ireland 20 The Quay, New Ross.
There were then two branches of Bank of Ireland in the town until circa 1979 when the bank closed the branch and business was moved 100 yards along the Quay to the bigger premises at 12 The Quay.
The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage description is as follows:
A bank erected to design (1861) by William Francis Caldbeck (c.1824-72), Architect to the National Bank of Ireland representing an important component of the mid-nineteenth-century built heritage of New Ross.

Leave a comment