Many Rossonians assume that Sugar House Lane is so named because it at one time contained warehouses which contained or stored sugar, This is not entirely true as the Sugar House after which it was named was actually located on a site in South Street facing the top of lane.

The 1840’s map has the location highlighted with the yellow arrow while the early 20th century map shows how much that small area of the town changed in the intervening years, including the disappearance of the Sugar House.

Leave a comment